As the weather gets warmer, I’m leaning towards lighter meals. Veggie burritos are my favorite food, but they can be a bit heavy. With that mind, I created this grain-free burrito bowl that has all the flavor a of a burrito without all the calories. I loved this bowl and can’t wait to make it again!
Grain Free Lacinato Kale Burrito Bowl (serves ~4)
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, washed and shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels (I used frozen)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped finely
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped into small pieces (squeeze a bit of lemon on the pieces so they stay nice and green)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- Cilantro as a garnish
Cilantro Lemon Dressing (serves ~4)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced finely
- 1/4 tsp salt
To start, heat olive oil in a sauté pan and add the chopped jalapeño (the more seeds you add, the spicier it will be). Once jalapeño has sautéed for a couple minutes add the black beans, corn, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly. Turn burner down to low and allow to continue heating gently.
Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro and salt until emulsified. Next, pour dressing + an extra dash of salt over the shredded kale and lightly massage into the leaves.
To combine the bowl, start with kale as the base and top with the jalapeño corn mixture, red onion, avocado, toasted sunflower seeds and, if you’re me, about a half cup of cilantro 🙂