Since it’s the first official day of fall, I wanted to share a recipe to kick off soup season! This soup is an excellent way to add more greens to your diet and the potato and coconut give it a touch of creaminess to make this soup really delicious.
Coconut Lacinato Kale Soup (serves 4-6)
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Dash of salt
1 small russet potato
1 bunch lacinato kale
1 inch piece of ginger
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons maple syrup
Scallions, to garnish
1. Chop onion into a rough dice and roughly chop garlic.
2. Heat a sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and the garlic to pan along with a dash of salt.
3. On a separate burner, boil salted water in a small saucepan. Peel the potato and chop into four pieces before adding to boiling water. Cook until soft enough to cut through without resistance. Strain.
4. While the potato is cooking, add the kale (ribs removed and roughly chopped) to the pan with the onions and sauté lightly.
5. Add kale and onion mixture to a Vitamix blender, along with cooked potato, 1-inch piece of ginger and vegetable broth.
6. Add mixture back to saucepan and stir in coconut milk, salt and maple syrup.
7. Slice scallions thinly to garnish for service.